Monday, October 14, 2013

I Need a Numbered Off-Shore Account

There are few things as onerous in life as dealing with bureaucracy, especially the electronic variety. But I told myself to “suck it up, Buttercup.” And Matthew and I began to process of college applications.

When my two oldest started college, there were still paper applications. You could write in answers and make notations. Now you click the bubble. Unless the bubble doesn’t want to be clicked. And then, you can click and click and click. And the bubble ignores you. So Matt clicked. And when it didn’t work after twenty clicks, I clicked. Not that I expected it to be any different, it’s just the disbelief factor.

And I began to wonder who designed this form. Particularly since nowhere on the form does it say what else you need to submit to the university. They never tell you to send in your SAT scores or your transcripts.  There are no unclickable buttons that lead to scholarship or financial aid applications.

But finally, we reached the end of the application , leaving the unclickables unclicked. And it was time to pay the application fee. There was a stern warning that if you didn’t pay immediately after completing the application, then you could no longer pay on-line and would have to drive to the university and present them with a check. This seemed kind of odd to me, but whatever.

I filled in my credit card information and clicked submit. And it popped up “Page Not Found” and dumped us back on the submit payment page. Matthew’s hand moved toward the “submit button.” I said, “No!”

I quickly checked my email. My credit card company had emailed me, telling me that I’d paid the university application fee. So I told Matt to just exit the application.

Then I realized the obvious. A student doing work study designed this application. And I wondered where the second would have gone. Probably some numbered account in a country without extradition treaties to the US.

Hmm. Maybe Matthew should consider computer science as a major. And maybe he should look into work study. Who knew it could be so lucrative?


2 comments:

  1. Crazy and creepy, too! Sounds like the work-study student wasn't finished with the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, it sounds like your experience trying to fill out the form online was almost as much fun as the folks trying to apply for their new health coverage. (I sure hope they get the kinks worked out of that pronto... it almost sounds like a work-study student could've done a better job with it.)

    ReplyDelete