Monday, January 25, 2016

You Know You’re Tired When…

My shoe is on the left. My daughter's
is on the right.
In case you haven’t read the last month’s blog posts, I’ve been taking care of my daughter who had cardiothoracic surgery. And I’m tired. I didn’t realize how tired until yesterday.

As we were walking to the car, my daughter said: You’re wearing my shoes.

Me (thinking she was talking about the new shoes she bought me for Christmas): Yep.

Daughter: I thought you were going to wear your new shoes

Me (wondering at the redundancy of her thoughts and chalking it up to heavy painkillers): Yep.

Daughter (confused): But you’re wearing my shoes.

Me (looking at my feet): These are my shoes.

Daughter: Where did you get those shoes?

Me: Out of your closet.

Daughter: So those are my shoes.

Me: No. They’re mine. I must have put them in your closet.

Daughter: But they’re my shoes.

Me (looking at the shoes again): I don’t know what—(gearing starting to turn). Oh, wait, these are your shoes.

Daughter: Yeah.

Me: Sorry.

Daughter: No problem. But don’t they feel big? (She wears a half-size larger.)

Me: They feel pleasantly roomy. My toes can wiggle.

Daughter: Ah.

Me: I think I need a nap.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Connie! I hope you get some rest soon! Also, I hope your daughter's post-surgery recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krispy! She's doing well. (Though full recovery takes at least 18 months. Ouch.)

      Delete
  2. Pleasantly roomy. LOL. Hope you got that nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oye! You know, one April Fool's day my hubby put on two different shoes in the dark before heading out to a family event. Forever thereafter he accused me of playing a trick on him. But I didn't. Note to self--never put on shoes when tired, or it's dark. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re. shoes in the dark--it sounds like a good plan.

      Tomorrow morning I hope to put on my heels and not my daughter's.

      Delete
  4. That's funny! But it does sound like you need a nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be heading home soon. And though I'll really miss hanging out with my daughter, I will get to see my husband and sons--I've missed them so much. And then, I'll get to sleep in my bed (instead of a sleeping bag on the couch). Woot!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are having some identity issues. Hope your daughter is better soon. I have had many surgeries myself, but I don't know how I would handle the worry & stress of my daughter having surgery. Hang in there.

    Meanwhile, a question: I have just do is bed your Screwing Up Time YA series through Alexandria, and love them. The especially exciting thing about them is that each book just gets better and better. Have you published other books, perhaps not YA ones? If so I would like to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tigerlille, I'm delighted that you've enjoyed the Screwing Up Time series! As of yet, I haven't published any other books. But I'm working on a Southern noir and hope to pitch it to literary agents soon. So stayed tuned!

      Delete
  6. *hugs* I hope you get the rest you need, Connie! Please remember to take care of yourself too <3

    ReplyDelete