Friday, August 17, 2012

Vacation, Part 2


More Washington, D. C., vacation fun.

A friend recommended that we go to the National Museum of the Marine Corps. I'd never heard of it, but the friend highly recommended it (it was free) so we went.

It was a fantastic museum. It told the history of the American Marine Corp. But it also taught us so much history. I learned so much more about World War I,WW2, the Korean War, Vietnam, etc. And I came away with a profound respect for those who gave their lives--yet the museum did so without glorifying war. The cost was evident.

The museum was amazingly interactive, plus they had real footage, maps, artifacts, etc.

If you're interested in visiting, it's in Quantico, VA.

Here are some photos.


                      The museum is modeled after the design of the Iwo Jima Memorial.


Here's a type of armored cannon. 


Here's one of the first machine guns.


Here we're learning about the Battle of Belleau Wood.


This is the first armored car.


This is an I-beam from the World Trade Center. I remember looking across Long Island Sound and watching the smoke rise from towers.



5 comments:

  1. Very cool! There are so many great museums in DC I still want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on our list of "places we need to go" because of our living history stuffs. I will add--the curators are super-nice about responding to emails about the items in their collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting museum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize there was more to Quantico than secret buildings.
    They shaped the building like the Iwo Jima memorial? That's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a neat museum. Just the kind of place we like to visit.

    ReplyDelete