Okay, it’s fall and I’ve got my first cold. This means, one, my mind is mush and I can’t think of a single thing to blog about, except, you know, my cold. And two—I can’t remember what two was.
In any case, on to the ten worst things about having a cold.
1. The House. When I am sick, I switch to minimal mode. Actually, I don’t. I still do the laundry, cooking, and ironing. (Yes, I do the ironing—do you know what the stack looks like if I skip a week?!) On the other hand, I get phone calls from my kids saying, “Hey, Mom, you are resting, right? Tell me you’re resting.” I love phone calls from my kids.
2. The Vaporizer. I cart mine around with me all day and it hisses, spits, and blows camphor steam in my face. On the other hand, I’m telling myself that it’s a medicated facial. My skin had better look radiant when this cold is over.
3. Cold Medicine. This worst thing about this is that I can’t take it. I have a “sensitivity” to decongestant, which is another way of saying that if I take cold medicine my heart will beat so fast I get to visit ER. On the other hand, the alternative to cold medicine is a Hot Toddy—bourbon with lemon, honey, and hot water. At least if you have a nasty cold, you’re happy.
4. Snot. Okay, I don’t need to explain why this is heinous. On the other hand, you don’t notice if your allergies are bad.
5. Sneezing. This is not a problem you want to have if you’ve given birth to four large babies. I will not explain this. And there is no “on the other hand.”
6. No Sense of Taste. This means the very cool pork butt roasted with chipotles and chocolate will taste like dirt. On the other hand, the tea that got left out in the sun and went bad—yeah, you won’t even know it’s spoiled when you drink it.
7. Focus. The ability to concentrate and edit is totally shot. On the other hand, Netflix!
8. A Frightening Reflection in the Mirror. The bathroom mirror reflects back an image that makes you look the love-child of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Grendel's mother. On the other hand, you don’t care.
9. Sleep. When I’m sick, I can’t sleep. So I ponder—my novels, the state of the world, the health of the dog, etc. On the other hand, I’m getting lots of practice trying not to worry.
10. Yeah, I can’t think of a tenth one. So this will have to do. Besides my vaporizer is seriously spitting—it’s actually blowing out rings of stream. I’d watch in fascination, but I think I put too much salt in the water and it may blow a household circuit. Yeah, that’s happened before.
=( I'm so sorry about your cold. I'll send some vitamin C-infused cheese your way.ReplyDelete
Unleashing the Dreamworld
I'm right there with on that cold. I usually darken all mirrors until the worst passes.ReplyDelete
I have The Plague right now, too--yuck! But you're right--at least hot toddies are a tasty upside.ReplyDelete
Uggg!! Haven't gotten sick yet, but I feel for you!ReplyDelete
Hope you feel better soon!
I have had a nasty cold all week. I can relate to all of these except the having given birth part.ReplyDelete
When I'm sick, I can't concentrate either. I'm not able to write or read a sentence. I sure hope you're feeling better now!ReplyDelete
Aw, I hope you feel better soon! I HATE getting sick, even when it's just a cold. :(ReplyDelete