Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Musical Connections

The other day a friend of mine posted on her Facebook page that her son was “failing” preschool music class. Apparently, he “infrequently connects to the music emotionally.”

Hmm. I remember my preschool classes where we learned important Western musical classics like “The Eensy, Weensy Spider” and “I’m a Little Teapot.” I’m sure her son’s academic career is threatened (despite the fact that both parents graduated from Yale), and she probably needs to take important steps to rectify the situation. Maybe I should send her a CD of songs like “A Tisket, A Tasket,” “Here we go ’round the Mulberry Bush,” and “The Farmer in the Dell.” I mean, unless remedial action is taken, her son may end up like my son Matthew (he’s 17) who infrequently connects with the musical assignments of his piano teacher. I tell him that it’s probably because he’s emotionally shallow. But he thinks it’s because she picks lame music—anything by Chopin or other composers who lull you to sleep.

Matthew may have a point. It seems like all my sons have connected with Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky. When the boys were young, every Saturday morning they’d put the “1812 Overture” CD into the stereo and crank it. They especially liked the section with the cannons. Maybe my friend needs to donate that CD to the preschool.




N.B. If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you know that I normally post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Between this blog and my other blog, Screwing Up Time (where I post on Tuesdays), I’m blogging four days a week and that’s a bit more than I can do right now. So I’m planning to post on here on Mondays and Fridays and at Screwing Up Time on Wednesdays.

4 comments:

  1. This blows me away. How can a pre-school aged child emotionally fail at music? @&?!*&@!#!! And you're right, music is personal. Here here to the 1812 Overture and blasting cannons!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! How does a pre-schooler fail anything really? And what does it mean the kid doesn't emotionally connect with the music? This is some crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Krispy and Amy! How can you fail anything in pre-school? This is ridiculous! Uh, is he failing finger painting as well? Snack time? Story circle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly - somebody needs to chill out - as they say. Let the children be children - they'll connect with the music they like when they're ready. :)

    ReplyDelete