Monday, November 15, 2010

Fairy Rings

This time of year we get rain and warm, but not hot days.  That breeds mycelium (mushrooms).  Of course being an avid gardener, I pulled up all the fruiting bodies.  But across the street from our house is a big patch of grass that isn’t so faithfully tended.  And I’m glad.  Because when the conditions are just right, the fairy rings appear.  If you’ve never seen a fairy ring, it’s a circle of grass that’s perfectly outlined in mushrooms.  It’s really amazing, otherworldly actually.  It makes me want to put on fairy wings and dance.
 
Of course, I wouldn’t be a sweet little elfin fairy with a crinoline tutu.  I picture myself more as Holly Short from the Artemis Fowl books.  Holly may have wings, but she packs Neutrino 2000, can fly any ship with turbo thrusters, and take down a charging bull goblin without breaking a sweat.  Yep, that’s my kind of elfin fairy.

Here’s picture of a fairy ring.  It’s not the one across the street, which is actually better, but I don’t have a photo of it.

8 comments:

  1. I have never seen one so it is great to at least see a photo of one. Thanks.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!!! Are you going to write about it????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--I've never seen a fairy ring before! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you know your mushroom species or you could be in for quite a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the ones across the street are pretty awesome. There are usually fairy rings there several times a year. Although, I hadn't even noticed that there were mushrooms there lately. Hmm...I guess it must be the observant author in you--you notice things immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neato! Ariel should stand in the middle of one and play the violin in her Shakespeare dress....that would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha--I wish I could, but right now I'm working on a hist fic/lit fic.

    Grace--Oh, I'm going to have to get a photo of that!

    Nick--apparently 60 different species of mushrooms can make fairy rings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairy rings within fairy rings is where it's at.

    ReplyDelete