Friday, January 25, 2013

January Blues

Normally, I love January. It's a new year full of possibility and promise.

But this year, it stumbled in like a zombie. Full of decay and sickness.

I decided we (or at least, I) needed some end of January cheer and celebration. But there wasn't really anything to celebrate. Except the end of January. But short of burning a calendar, which I'm sure my boys would've enjoyed, there didn't seem to be anything positive to do.

Then, yesterday I discovered a new Turkish market. A small hole-in-the-wall jumble. And I found rose-infused Turkish Delight and Turkish coffee (coffee with cardamom). In case you've never made Turkish coffee before, it's really fun. You boil the water and sugar. Then you add the coffee. Wait until it foams. Remove it from the heat. Put it back on the heat until it foams again. Then, you pour it into demitasse cups from a height so it will foam in the cup. After the grounds (more like powder) settle to the bottom of the cup, you drink it. Coffee bliss. Apparently, an old tradition is to use the grounds to tell fortunes. So Matt told everyone's fortune. According to Matt, I am going to become a witch who lives in a gingerbread house and eats the children who come to my door...I think he's seen too many ads for Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters.

In any case, I think we have a new tradition, Goodbye, January!

Here are some photos.

Matt and I drinking Turkish coffee.
Turkish coffee (sadly, the foam has dissipated) and Turkish Delight. 


7 comments:

  1. EVERYONE I work with seems on the verge of death. I've managed to keep clear of it with heavy doses of spice tea. But I would love to try out the turkish coffee... maybe I'll look for some and take a break from the tea this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a coffee drinker, but Turkish Delight...save me a piece! Maybe I'll have to go make some candy that I make that Tammy always said reminded her of Turkish Delights. I even ordered a bunch of flavors to make it, so maybe that's a rainy day activity for today :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more obvious connection is that the witch in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe plied Edmund with Turkish delight to get him to betray his siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend once gave me Turkish Delight and it was delicious! Haven't tried turkish coffee though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, that sounds absolutely heavenly. Sorry to hear you've been unwell this January (I've running on fumes myself), but at least you have this deliciousness to help get you through! Here's to a better February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love Turkish coffee...I miss our the Turkish restaurant we used to go to. Must make some soon :)

    ReplyDelete