But the winters. I hate them because…
1. Really cold and no snow. I mean, what’s the point of that? If I’m going to deal with 20 degrees, I want pretty, white stuff in the air and on the ground.
2. Mud. Whenever moisture does come, it’s always tropical. So it heats up to 40, makes everything a giant mud pit and then freezes again.
3. Our dog steals heat. (Okay, this isn’t so much the South’s fault. But out dog was bred here.) Our Lab Jezebel lies on the heater vents. And she’s a black Lab! She has otter fur. She’s supposed to scoff at the cold. Instead, she nudges away anyone sitting by the heat dish.
4. Weeds. None of my weeds are dying. In New England, I could trust that Old Man Winter would suck the life from the autumn weeds. Here, my weeds are merrily growing. I don’t want to weed in January!!!
5. No blizzards. Seriously. When you have a blizzard, you can ignore all the plans for the day, put a fire in the fireplace, and drink hot chocolate.
One the other hand, it’s January and in six to eight weeks my flowers will be blooming. So what’s a little mud?
What do you hate about winter where you are?
|My hellebores will bloom first. Sadly, I couldn't post my own photos because my stupid computer is not cooperating. So this photo is copyright www.lentenrose.com, courtesy of wikimedia commons.|