If you aren’t personally experiencing it, you’ve surely heard about the nasty heat we’ve been experiencing in the South. Thankfully, it did not get to 109 yesterday. (Or maybe it did. I stopped paying attention once it reached 106.)
In any case, I thought I’d share my top ten beat-the-heat suggestions.
1. Make iced hot chocolate. I know “iced hot chocolate” is a paradoxical name, but you’re too hot to notice or care. So, put 3 cups ice cubes, 1/2c chocolate syrup, 1 c. fat-free evaporated milk, ½ t. vanilla in the blender. Blend. Drink. Bliss.
2. Go to work. My daughter’s doing research in a computer lab this summer. Because of all the computers, the room is cold. My daughter brings a sweater to work.
3. Mooch your friends’ swimming pools. Though after a week of extreme heat, the pools are turning into saunas.
4. Iced tea and a good book. I’m reading The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. BTW, iced tea is even better with some bourbon added. Sadly, we don’t have any.
6. Wear a Scarlett O’Hara hat when you go outside. (Yes, I’ve been doing a bit gardening, mostly watering.) You can vamp out in the heat and say, “Great balls of fire!” (hiccup) Poor Scarlett had too many iced teas with bourbon.
7. Okay, I owe you five more suggestions. But it’s too hot. So why don’t you share some suggestions with me? Thanks.