Friday, February 24, 2012

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award


In January I entered my novel, Screwing Up Time into the young adult category of Amazon’s Breakthrough Novel Award competition. Yesterday they posted the writers/books that made the first cut. So I looked for my name and didn’t find it. I consoled myself by saying I knew it was a long shot because the competition is stiff and the first round of the competition cuts the entrants by 80%.

But just before I closed the website, I remembered that I entered under CM Keller and not Connie Keller. So I checked for CM Keller. And it was there! I made it to round two!

The next cut will be a quarter finals cut and will be announced on March 20, so I’ll be hoping and praying. But once again, the cut is big. Of the remaining 20%, they’ll cut that by 75%.

Did any of you enter the competition this year? Did you make it to the second round? Did you enter any of the previous years? 

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I entered the first year but didn't make it anywhere. It was 'cause they didn't appreciate my genius. Or I was new at novel-writng and the entry was terrible. One of those. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Congrats! Fingers crossed that you go all the way to the finals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats! The competition on that thing is crazy. I've never entered, but Alz did last year. She made it to the second round too! :) Good luck!

    RE: Collections - I love office supplies! My favorite part of starting my job was being able to order new office supplies. Haha. In my future dream house, I'm going to need a room for my book and a room for all my geek stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's awesome!! Hope you have continued success with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. . . if you cut 20% by 75%, you get only 5% of the original remaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a nice catch! Congratulations! Your book is on my list too read. I love time-twist books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I thought about entering but decided I wanted to exhaust my efforts on going the traditional route first.

    Fingers crossed for you and hoping that you'll make it all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making round two! I hope you keep going on with more wins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Margo Berendsen just told me. I didn't know about your pen name, so I didn't know you were on the list when I checked.

    I made it to the second round also. I also made it the second round last year with a different manuscript. The feedback, though harsh, was helpful.

    Good luck for round 3!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing Connie! I can't wait to hear what happens!

    ReplyDelete