Today’s Friday Five is movie lines. Not the greatest ones like “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Or insanely stupid ones like “I like smooth things.” (Anakin Skywalker—in case you don’t remember).
But movie lines that you end up quoting...just because.
1. “Don’t you think that daisies are the friendliest flowers?” from You’ve Got Mail. We have daisies in out garden simply because of that line. It’s actually a dumb line, but I find myself saying it anyway.
2. “Gentlemen, the man who folded this tube of toothpaste isn’t looking for buff.” From Sneakers. Spoken by the female math-genius musician that Robert Redford loves. (Cal is a toothpaste tube folder. He wasn’t looking for buff either. Just saying.)
3. “Hair can’t be healthy, it’s dead.” From Proof spoken by a math genius played by Gwyneth Paltrow (You gotta love those movies about female math geniuses.)
4. “It tis Wednesday, Harold.” From Stranger Than Fiction, spoken by a tolerant semi-crazed Russian woman. (STF is my all time favorite movie, which also has great lines like: “Would that be the letter that begins ‘Dear Imperialist Swine?’” and “’Little did he know?! I taught a whole class on ‘Little did he know.””)
5. “Plasti-cakes. Made from 100% food-like polymers.” From Buzz Lightyear Saturday morning cartoons. My kids say this on the rare occasion that I serve something that’s not made from scratch. For example, Me: “We’re having apple-turkey sausages.” Keller inhabitant: “Yum. Made from 100% food-like polymers.”
What about you? What movie quotes do you find yourself using?