Here are my favorite pre-Christmas moments.
1. Plugging in the Christmas tree for the first time. Made even better by the fact that I didn’t have to decorate the tree—the kids did it. Made doubly better by the electrical engineering major who dealt with the strands of light that didn’t work.
2. Giving the official “you may listen to Christmas music” pronouncement. Actually, this is my least favorite moment. By December 26, my brain and ears will be melted by carols that Matt plays nonstop on the stereo.
3. First mug of hot spiced cider. Matthew has his own special recipe that he makes during the holidays. All I have to do is buy the cider.
4. Watching “A Dog’s Life, Merry Gentlemen” from All Creatures Great & Small, series two. My kids are tired of it—I watch it every year. The skeleton scene gives me the giggles every time.
5. Finishing the Christmas cards. When Cal and I were first married, we agreed that he’d balance the checkbook and I’d do all the Christmas cards. Eleven months out of the year, I think that I got the bargain. But in December, I know he did. Today I have to remind the kids that we haven’t done our picture yet…
If you hear screaming carried on the breeze today, it’s my kids protesting the Christmas photo.
What are your favorite pre-Christmas moments?